Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Review: Princess Addison Gets Angry

Some books come along at just the right time. That's what happened for me when I had a chance to read and review Molly Martin's new picture book, Princess Addison Gets Angry.


Addison is a princess. She appears to live a pretty sweet life that includes a king and queen for parents, butlers to do whatever butlers do, nice friends, and a couple of friendly dogs for pets. However, even princesses can have a bad day. On a sad day when it's raining and Princess Addison can't go out and pick flowers, she throws one heck of a tantrum. Her mom is there for her, both to comfort her and to set some parameters on how to deal with all of those big feelings without hurting someone else.

This book spoke to me because I have a lovely, spirited three year old in my life who can also throw one heck of a tantrum. As her mom, the things that upset her don't always make sense to me, but I know they are important to her. I've been struggling with how to get through to her for a while. I sat her down to read the book with me and she instantly mad a connection with Addison. We talked about Addison's anger, about the expressions on her face, and what a bummer it is when you want to do something and forever whatever reason, you just can't. My three year old LOVED this book and asked me to read it to her several times in a row.

The best thing about this book is that it has made a positive impact on our life. I initially thought the book was too instructive for my taste, but I'm really impressed with the way this book reached my daughter. I was able to reference it during a future tantrum and she drew from some of Addison's mom's advice. It actually diffused the situation. I'm not going to complain about that, so I will declare this book a winner for me. I would recommend it to a parent of a 2-4 year old who is looking for a simple, easy-to-understand book about the emotion of anger.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. I did not receive any other compensation for this review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment